The recommended starting dose of Vasotec for people with congestive heart failure is Vasotec 2.5 mg twice a day. Based on the response and/or Vasotec side effects, the dosage may be adjusted. For most people, the normal daily dosage is Vasotec 2.5 mg to Vasotec 20 mg twice a day.
If you have heart failure and kidney disease or low salt levels in the blood (hyponatremia), your healthcare provider may choose to start you on a lower dose of Vasotec, such as Vasotec 2.5 mg once daily, with close medical supervision.
For those with left ventricular dysfunction, the starting dose of Vasotec is generally 2.5 mg per day. The dose may be increased at regular intervals up to 20 mg per day (or 10 mg twice a day).
For children taking Vasotec to lower blood pressure, the usual starting dose is 0.08 mg per kilogram, up to 5 mg per day. Dosing will be adjusted based on the blood pressure response or side effects.
Some considerations for people taking Vasotec include the following:
- Take your dose of Vasotec with a glass of water.
- It does not matter if you take Vasotec with or without food.
- Make sure to take Vasotec at the same time each day to maintain even levels of Vasotec in the blood.
- For Vasotec to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Vasotec will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your Vasotec as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Vasotec or your Vasotec dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Vasotec without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.