If you believe you may have overdosed on valsartan, seek immediate medical attention. A few symptoms of a valsartan overdose include loss of consciousness, extremely low blood pressure, and increased levels of potassium in the blood. Treating a recent overdose may involve pumping the stomach. But if the valsartan has already been absorbed into the body, the healthcare provider will usually treat the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, he or she may give fluids through an intravenous line (IV), closely monitor the heart and lungs, and/or give medications to increase blood pressure.
Valsartan Overdose: An Overview
Valsartan (Diovan®) is a medication used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, as well as to help improve survival following a heart attack. Although it is rare, a person can overdose on valsartan just like any other medicine. The effects of a valsartan overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much valsartan was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
- Extremely low blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Increased levels of potassium in the blood
- Kidney failure
- Loss of consciousness.
Treatment for a Valsartan OverdoseThe treatment for a valsartan overdose will vary. If the valsartan overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." However, there is no readily available treatment that can remove valsartan quickly once it has been absorbed into the body. Therefore, in these cases, treatment involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a valsartan overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs.