Valsartan Dosing for Congestive Heart FailureThe recommended starting valsartan dosage for people with congestive heart failure is valsartan 40 mg twice a day. After a couple of weeks, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to a target dose of valsartan 80 mg to valsartan 160 mg twice a day. If side effects occur, a lower dose may be recommended.
Dosing for Valsartan Following a Heart AttackThe recommended starting dose of valsartan following a heart attack is valsartan 20 mg twice a day. Every couple of weeks, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to a target dose of valsartan 160 mg twice a day. If side effects occur, a lower dose may be recommended.
- Your valsartan dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Valsartan may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take valsartan at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- For valsartan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Valsartan will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your valsartan as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to valsartan or your valsartan dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking valsartan without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.