Side Effects of Valsartan
Some common side effects of valsartan include fatigue, stomach pain, and infection with a virus (such as the common cold or flu). Among the drug's rare side effects are hair loss, anxiety, and a spinning sensation (vertigo). There are also some side effects with valsartan that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider, such as difficulty breathing or swallowing and decreases in the amount of urine produced. Be sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while on valsartan.
An Overview of Valsartan Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects associated with valsartan (Diovan®). However, not everyone who takes valsartan will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate valsartan well. When people do develop valsartan side effects, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(The valsartan side effects discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with valsartan. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Common Valsartan Side Effects
Valsartan has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with thousands of people worldwide having been evaluated while taking this drug. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common valsartan side effects seen in people with high blood pressure include:
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent of people
- An increase in blood potassium levels -- up to 4.4 percent of people
- Infection with a virus, such as the common cold or flu -- up to 3 percent of people
- Cough -- up to 2.6 percent of people
- Fatigue -- up to 2 percent of people
- Stomach pain -- up to 2 percent of people.
In people with congestive heart failure, the most common side effects with valsartan include:
- Dizziness -- up to 17 percent of people
- An increase in blood potassium levels -- up to 10 percent of people
- Extremely low blood pressure -- up to 7 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 5 percent of people.
Other common side effects seen in people with congestive heart failure include but are not limited to:
- Joint pain
- Back pain.