Congestive Heart Failure Home > Dyazide Alternatives

Alternatives to Dyazide may be considered if the medicine is causing bothersome side effects or if it is not adequately controlling your condition. These alternatives can include lifestyle changes or other medications. For example, your healthcare provider may recommend that you limit your intake of salt and alcohol. Some medicines that are considered Dyazide alternatives include spironolactone, amiloride, and furosemide.

Dyazide Alternatives Explained

Dyazide® (triamterene-HCTZ) is a prescription medicine used for controlling high blood pressure or dealing with fluid retention. It is a combination of two diuretic medications: triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). Dyazide is generally quite effective at treating these conditions, and most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, it is possible that side effects may occur during treatment with Dyazide or that the medicine may not completely control a person's condition. Fortunately, there are several Dyazide alternatives for the treatment of high blood pressure or water retention.

Dyazide Alternatives for High Blood Pressure

Many alternatives to Dyazide are available for controlling high blood pressure (hypertension), including:
  • Losing weight
  • Limiting your salt intake
  • Becoming more physically active
  • Drinking less alcohol
  • Making dietary changes (including more fruits and vegetables)
  • Taking other medications (see High Blood Pressure Medication).
(Click High Blood Pressure Treatment to read more about the treatment options for high blood pressure.)
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.