Congestive Heart Failure Home > Aldactazide Drug Information
Aldactazide® (spironolactone-HCTZ) is a prescription medication approved for the following uses:
- Controlling high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Treating water retention (edema) caused by the following conditions:
This product contains two diuretics -- spironolactone and hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) -- that work together by increasing the amount of salt and water removed from the blood. The medication comes in tablet form and is generally taken once or twice a day.
Prior to beginning treatment with Aldactazide, review the medication's safety information with your healthcare provider. Drug interactions are possible, so your healthcare provider needs a complete list of all other medicines you are taking. In addition, certain people may need to avoid Aldactazide altogether, including those who:
- Are allergic to sulfonamides ("sulfa" drugs)
- Have high potassium levels or severe kidney disease
- Are not producing any urine.
(Click Aldactazide for more information on this drug, including possible side effects, what to keep in mind during treatment, and what to do in cases of overdose.)