Congestive Heart Failure Home > Aldactone
Aldactone is a type of diuretic that is used for treating high blood pressure, water retention, heart failure, and low potassium levels. It can also be used to diagnose and treat primary hyperaldosteronism. The drug, which is available by prescription, comes in tablet form and is generally taken once or twice daily. Potential side effects include diarrhea, fever, and drowsiness.
- Diagnosing and treating primary hyperaldosteronism (overproduction of the hormone aldosterone)
- Controlling high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Treating water retention (edema) caused by the following conditions:
- Treating low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia)
- Decreasing the risk for hospitalization or death in people with severe heart failure.