For the treatment of high blood pressure, most people start with a Lozol dosage of 1.25 mg once daily. The recommended starting dosage for treating water retention is 2.5 mg once a day. Based on your response to the medication, your healthcare provider may increase your daily Lozol dose up to 5 mg for treating either condition.
The dose of Lozol® (indapamide) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking
- How you respond to Lozol.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Lozol Dosing for High Blood Pressure
The recommended starting Lozol dose for high blood pressure is 1.25 mg once daily. Based on the initial blood pressure response and/or side effects of Lozol, your healthcare provider may increase (or decrease) your dose if necessary, up to a maximum of 5 mg per day. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full blood pressure-lowering effects of Lozol. If your blood pressure is not adequately controlled with 5 mg per day, your healthcare provider should add a different type of blood pressure medication instead of increasing your Lozol dose.
Lozol Dosing for Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
The recommended starting Lozol dose for water retention due to CHF is 2.5 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to a maximum of Lozol 5 mg once daily.
Some considerations for people taking Lozol include:
- Lozol comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- It does not matter if you take Lozol with or without food.
- Lozol should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood. However, some people do not need to take Lozol every day, especially those who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because Lozol increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night), unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Lozol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Lozol or your Lozol dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.