Taking too much digoxin (Lanoxin) can cause potentially serious and even life-threatening problems. Digoxin toxicity can occur even with normal doses, so make sure to contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience overdose symptoms, such as vomiting, confusion, or yellow vision. Treating a digoxin overdose can include administering an antidote, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Digoxin?Digoxin (Lanoxin®) is a prescription medication approved for use in children and adults to treat heart failure and atrial fibrillation, a type of abnormal heart rhythm (heart arrhythmia). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much digoxin.
An overdose of digoxin can be extremely dangerous, and may even cause death. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the digoxin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
- Nausea and vomiting (not as likely in infants and children)
- Decreased appetite
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- General feelings of discomfort
- Blurred or yellow vision
- Slow heart rate
- Heart arrhythmias
- Cardiac arrest (when the heart stops beating)
An overdose of this medicine can cause digoxin toxicity, which occurs when digoxin levels in the body become too high. Digoxin toxicity can result from a sudden, large ingestion of the drug, or may occur in some cases with normal use (see Digoxin Toxicity). Therefore, it is important to report any symptoms of digoxin overdose to your healthcare provider, even if you believe you have not overdosed on this medication.
Symptoms of digoxin toxicity are usually more common and more severe when digoxin blood levels are greater than 2 ng per mL. However, some people may experience symptoms with lower blood levels.