When and How to Take This MedicationSome general considerations for when and how to take chlorthalidone include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take chlorthalidone with or without food.
Chlorthalidone should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood. However, some people do not need to take it every day. This is especially true for people who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because chlorthalidone increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night, unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Chlorthalidone will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of chlorthalidone your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to chlorthalidone.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Chlorthalidone Dosing for more information.)