It is possible for a person to take too much chlorthalidone. Overdose effects vary depending on how much of the medication was taken and if it was combined with other drugs, among other factors. However, symptoms could potentially include dizziness, an irregular heartbeat, and drowsiness. Treatment for a chlorthalidone overdose may include pumping the stomach or treating complications that occur as a result of the overdose (which is known as giving supportive care).
An Introduction to Chlorthalidone OverdoseChlorthalidone (Thalitone®) is a medication used for controlling high blood pressure and treating water retention (edema). Even though it happens rarely, a person can overdose on chlorthalidone just like with any other medication. Chlorthalidone overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much of the drug is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on chlorthalidone, seek immediate medical attention.
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Low electrolytes (especially low potassium, chloride, and sodium).
This may cause signs or symptoms that include:
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- A decrease in urine output
- Drowsiness, headaches, or back pain
- A slow or irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of consciousness.