General Information on Dosing With ChlorthalidoneSome considerations for people taking chlorthalidone include:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take chlorthalidone with or without food.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood. However, some people -- especially those who take the drug for fluid retention -- do not need to take it every day.
- Because chlorthalidone increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night), unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Chlorthalidone will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or chlorthalidone dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.