Chlorthalidone Alternatives for Water RetentionSome alternatives to chlorthalidone when treating fluid retention (edema) include:
- Limiting your salt and fluid intake
- Wearing support stockings to reduce fluid retention in the legs
- Becoming more active (avoiding sitting or standing in the same position for too long)
- Taking other diuretic medications, such as:
- Bumetanide (Bumex®)
- Chlorothiazide (Diuril®)
- Ethacrynic acid (Edecrin®)
- Furosemide (Lasix®)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix®, HydroDIURIL®, Microzide®, Oretic®)
- Metolazone (Zaroxolyn®)
- Spironolactone (Aldactone®) or spironolactone-HCTZ (Aldactazide®)
- Torsemide (Demadex®)
- Triamterene (Dyrenium®) or triamterene-HCTZ (Dyazide®, Maxzide®).
A Summary of Chlorthalidone AlternativesSeveral chlorthalidone alternatives are available, including other medications and lifestyle changes. If the drug is not working for you, or if it is causing bothersome side effects, ask your healthcare provider about trying one of the alternatives to chlorthalidone discussed in this article.