Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Chlorothiazide comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- For people with difficulty swallowing tablets, a liquid form of the medicine is available. Be sure to shake the chlorothiazide suspension thoroughly before each dose.
- You can take it with or without food.
- Chlorothiazide should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood. However, some people do not need to take chlorothiazide every day, especially those who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because this product increases urination, it is best to take it the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night). If you are taking it twice a day, try to take your last dose before 6 PM, unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- How you respond to chlorothiazide.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Chlorothiazide Dosing for more information.)