Some considerations for people taking chlorothiazide include:
- Chlorothiazide comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- It does not matter if you take chlorothiazide with or without food.
- For people with difficulty swallowing tablets, a liquid form of chlorothiazide is available. Make sure to shake the chlorothiazide suspension thoroughly before each dose.
- Chlorothiazide should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood. However, some people do not need to take chlorothiazide every day, especially those who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because chlorothiazide increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night). If you take the drug twice a day, try to take the last dose before 6 PM, unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Chlorothiazide will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to chlorothiazide or your chlorothiazide dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.