Several complications may occur if you take too much captopril. Overdose symptoms include extremely low blood pressure, increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood, or kidney failure. Treatment options available for a captopril overdose include pumping the stomach, medicines, and supportive care that consists of monitoring the heart and lungs and treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Captopril (available as Capoten® and generic captopril) is a medication used to control high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Even though it has happened on only a few occasions, a person can overdose on captopril, just like any other medication. The effects of a captopril overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much captopril is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on captopril, seek immediate medical attention.
Signs of a captopril overdose can vary, but may include:
- Extremely low blood pressure
- Increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood
- Kidney failure.
The treatment for a captopril overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." However, there is no readily available treatment that can remove captopril quickly once it has been absorbed into the body. Therefore, in these cases, treatment typically involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a captopril overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on complications that occur
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a captopril overdose.