Some considerations for people taking captopril include:
- Captopril should be taken by mouth with a glass of water. It should be taken on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal or two hours after a meal.
- Make sure to take captopril at the same time each day to maintain even levels of medicine in the blood.
- For captopril to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Captopril will not work if you take in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you have high blood pressure and are already taking a diuretic (water pill), have kidney disease, or are elderly, your healthcare provider may choose to start you on a lower dose of captopril.
- If you do not take your captopril as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal captopril dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to captopril or your dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking captopril without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.