Captopril and Dry Eyes
There are possible side effects of captopril, and dry eyes appear to develop with other ACE inhibitors, but it is not a reported problem with captopril. Dry eyes, however, are a common condition. If you experience dry eyes while using captopril, try protecting your eyes against wind, blinking several times a minute while reading or working on the computer, and using non-preserved eye drops.
There are several possible side effects for people taking captopril (available as Capoten® and generic captopril). Dry eyes, however, do not appear to be one of them. This data comes from clinical trials that studied captopril extensively and documented its side effects. In thousands of people studied worldwide, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect. Dry eyes have been reported with other ACE inhibitors, though.
Although dry eyes do not appear to be caused by captopril, they are a common condition. The following are some suggestions that may provide relief from dry eyes:
- Don't use artificial tears that irritate your eyes. Try another brand or preparation.
- Non-preserved drops may be more comfortable.
- Blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer.
- Protect your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind.
- Put a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time (including the bedroom) or install a humidifier in your heating and air-conditioning unit.
- Don't smoke, and stay out of smoky rooms.
- Apply mascara only to the tips of your lashes so that it doesn't get in your eyes. If you use eyeliner or eye shadow, put it only on the skin above your lashes, not on the sensitive skin under your lashes or close to your eyes.
- Ask your doctor whether any of your other medications could contribute to dryness and, if so, how to reduce that effect. Some medications that can cause dry eyes include:
o Antihistamineso Decongestantso Diureticso Some diarrhea medicineso Some antipsychotic drugso Tranquilizerso Some blood pressure medications (including other types of ACE inhibitors)