Generic Aldactone (spironolactone) is currently sold by the name Spironolactone tablets. It is available in three different strengths, including 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg tablets. Some of the drug companies that manufacture generic Aldactone products include United Research Laboratories, Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, and Mutual Pharmaceutical Company.
Aldactone® (spironolactone) is a prescription medication known as a "potassium-sparing diuretic." It is approved to treat the following uses:
- Diagnosing and treating primary hyperaldosteronism (overproduction of the hormone aldosterone)
- Controlling high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Decreasing the risk of death or hospitalization in people with severe heart failure
- Treating water retention (edema) caused by the following conditions:
- Treating low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia).
Brand-name Aldactone is made by Pfizer. However, it has come off-patent and is now available as a generic.
Generic Aldactone tablets are available in the following strengths:
- Spironolactone 25 mg
- Spironolactone 50 mg
- Spironolactone 100 mg.
Currently, the following manufacturers make generic Aldactone:
- Actavis US
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Qualitest Pharmaceuticals
- United Research Laboratories
- Sandoz Pharmaceuticals
- UDL Laboratories
- Mutual Pharmaceutical Company
If interested, you can ask your pharmacist about all the different makers of generic Aldactone.